Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Rainy Day Fourth of July

So everybody expects the 4th of July to be sunny, crowded and an overall blast, right? WRONG! As we get to the Victorville Fairgrounds, The sky opens up and doesn't rain, that would be too nice of a relief from the smothering, hot humidity, but POURS! Thunderstorms and drenching rain pours down from the sky! As people run for cover I say to my husband, "We can't let 4th of July get ruined!" I came to see fire works,I wasn't leaving.
So eventually the heavens close and I noticed a "cheesy curly fry" booth, mmmmmmm, my favorite! And the sky broke open again! My husband ran for cover at the nearby bandstand with the kids as I stubbornly stand in the line because I was getting those gooey, yummy cheesy fries I know I shouldn't be eating as I try to lose weight for my next photo shoot. Did I mention that as I'm standing in the pouring rain, I was wearing a simple white cotton shirt? Free show over here!
I finally found my family at the bandstand to stay dry as a Micheal Jackson impersonator takes the stage.... Lol! If only you could have seen my 6yr old little girl's eyes light up as she danced to "Billy Jean"! We laughed and danced and sang along, oblivious to the water sneaking up, higher and higher around our ankles. But it was okay. Ben was feeding the baby, Angelina was dancing and we were having a good time despite the rain.
Games, prizes, cotton candy, funnel cake, and turkey legs,(in that order), later, the sky rips open once more, our newest shelter being the animal corrals. Have you ever smelled wet cows and horses?! Yuck! But we were together, having a blast.
The rain caused the fireworks to be late and a little damp, but the show went on. Six week old Zoe Jane slept through the multiple explosions but Angelina cried out in pleasure from the front row, laughing and oohing and aahhhhing all the time.And even though 4th of July is to celebrate our independence, for me it's an excuse to see my baby smile. Thunder and rain be damned! My baby girl smiled ALL day! And that's what life's about, the little things that make you smile and warm your heart.....
Moral of this blog, stubborn isn't always bad, sometimes a little determination makes you rather than break you.

No comments:

Post a Comment